Apply directly to Reaseheath
The Professional Certificate Food Technology is aimed at those working in the food manufacturing industry who wish to achieve a higher education qualification, gain credit for their knowledge and experience, and progress within their career.
A minimum of 140 UCAS points or a Level 3 qualification in relevant subject
Part-time: 1 year blended learning
Learners will choose the Professional Certificate that delivers the specialism route which reflects the industry in which they are employed:
- Professional Certificate Food Technology with Bakery Specialism
- Professional Certificate Food Technology with Dairy Specialism
- Professional Certificate Food Technology with Meat Specialism
- Professional Certificate Food Technology with Nutrition Specialism
The course is suitable for learners working in any food manufacturing related role and aims to develop the learners’ technical and work specific skills. It is offered part-time over 1 year, by blended learning.
What will I study?
The Professional Certificates in Food Technology with Specialisms (Bakery, Dairy, Meat or Nutrition) are designed to provide shorter, bite-size courses for part-time study. You will study two compulsory modules plus one optional choice.
- Food Science and Composition
- Food Safety in Manufacturing
- Bakery Technology*
- Dairy Technology*
- Meat Technology*
- Applied Nutrition*
*optional specialist modules
Each module is studied by semester by blended learning. The learner is taught through a mix of workshops at Reaseheath, on-line university resources and a personal tutor. Students will attend for enrolment and course induction, introductory sessions for each module and assessment activities, such as exams or presentations. Depending on content of the module students may also need to attend some practical sessions.
- Level 3 qualification (Diploma, NVQ, Apprenticeship) or A Levels (minimum of 150 points) in relevant discipline plus food industry experience with the enthusiasm and aptitude to tackle a higher education course is desirable.
- Minimum of 3 years work experience in the food manufacturing industry without the relevant Level 3 qualification and can demonstrate enthusiasm and aptitude for higher level study.
- A Professional Certificate is a recognised Level 4 Higher Education qualification worth 60 credits and comprises 3 modules. Upon successful completion students may progress onto a Foundation Degree Food Manufacturing with Business Management or other relevant honours degree.
- Bakery, dairy or meat food production/technology roles
- Product development
- Food engineering
- Quality and continuous improvement roles.
As a Higher Education student you will have two main costs to meet; your tuition fees and living costs. Tuition fees are charged for each academic year of a course and are set by the college annually. Visit the student finance pages on our website for the latest information on tuition fees.
University Centre Reaseheath is committed to providing additional financial support to those who need it. To find out about the bursary schemes available visit the additional financial support pages on our website.
All first year students are guaranteed a place in our halls of residence which are all based on campus. For full details on our halls of residence visit the accommodation pages on our website.
We have a team of dedicated professionals on hand to offer you support when and if you need it during your time with us. These include our Student Services team, Higher Education Support Team (HEST), Library and Learning Resources and the Reaseheath Careers Service. You will find more information on the support provided at Reaseheath here.
Before you apply you can come and visit us at one of our HE Open Events to see what we have to offer. Once we have received your application we will invite you to attend an Offer Holder Day.
Applications for full-time Degrees and Foundation Degrees are made through UCAS www.ucas.com. Applications for all other full-time courses such as Access to HE and Level 4 Diplomas should be made directly to Reaseheath via the online application form. You can find out more here.
Modules can be studied as part of a Continuing Professional Development programme.