Apply directly to University Centre Reaseheath
This Level 4 Certificate is a first stage teaching qualification and ideal for those who have completed the Level 3 Award in Education and Training, just started or seeking a teaching role and are looking to progress as a teacher within a Further Education, Adult or vocational setting.
This is an excellent stepping stone to completing a full Level 5 teaching qualification in the learning and skills sector (equivalent to year 1 of the Level 5 Diploma in Education and Training). This course is particularly well suited for those looking to teach in land-based, STEM or vocational friendly environments.
Through a range of teaching methods, including interactive lectures, workshops, peer observation, developmental lesson observations, visiting speakers, group work and online activities, you will develop your knowledge and understanding of teaching within further and adult education.
On completion of this course you will be able to plan and deliver inclusive teaching and learning, carry out assessments of and for learning and be able to use resources effectively.
Progression routes also include completion of a full teaching qualification Level 5 Diploma in Education and Training.
The programme offers the unique opportunity to gain an additional qualification to Assess Competence in the Workplace*.
*Additional certification costs apply
Level 3 qualification in the subject you intend to teach
Part-time: 1 year
What will I study?
- Understanding roles, responsibilities and relationships in education and training
- Planning to meet the needs of learners in education and training
- Delivering education and training
- Assessing learners in education and training
- Using resources for education and training
Optional units could include, but will be negotiated dependent on job role:
- Assess occupational competence in the work environment
- Assess vocational skills, knowledge and understanding
- Manage learning and development in groups
This course is accredited by City & Guilds.
There is scope to further individualise to include development towards English tutor, maths tutor or progress tutor pathways. Please speak to the teacher training team if you are interested in one of these options.
You are required to attend all taught sessions, online activities and individual tutorials. It is your responsibility to ensure you maintain the required teaching hours and make observation time available for assessment.
Teaching and learning activities include:
- Mostly core sessions for the whole group
- Some specialist sessions/conferences
- Some extra support sessions
- Interactive lectures
- Visiting Speakers
- Tutorials (individual and small group)
- Work/placement-based observation, discussion and reflection
- Directed tasks, research and preparation for assignments
- On-line tasks – using Moodle, the University Centre’s ‘Virtual Learning Environment’
- Reading books, articles, reports
- Discussions with other teaching professionals
What kind of assignments?
- Direct observation
- Witness testimony
- Case Study
- Lots of opportunities for formative assessment throughout
University Centre Reaseheath’s standard rules regarding plagiarism and its impact on assessment and progression apply to this course. Coursework is mostly submitted electronically through Turn-it-in.
- Tuesday evening 5,15 – 8.15pm
- Friday morning 9am – 1pm
- Plus 30-100 hours of teaching practice
- Must hold a minimum Level 3 qualification in the subject that you intend to teach
- Hold or willing to work towards GCSE Maths and English at grade C or above (or equivalent)
- Teaching Practice placement required in FE/Adult Education (minimum 30 hours) confirmed prior to start of course
- Gain an enhanced DBS Disclosure (prior to starting the course)
- Demonstrate the ability to communicate fluently, accurately and effectively in English
- Provide two referees and demonstrate support from employer and mentor
- Have a subject mentor to offer subject specific support and guidance. Subject mentors must be prepared to attend an initial mentor training session
- Applicants will only be accepted on completion of successful application, interview, references and successful DBS checks
- Progress to complete the Level 5 Diploma in Education & Training (additional teaching practice and observation hours and bridging module required)
- Instructor, lecturer or course manager in your chosen field
- Tutor assessor
- Internal verifier
- Progress tutor
- Industry trainer
The City and Guilds Level 4 Certificate in Education and Training cost £1,500 including the agreed optional units.
University Centre Reaseheath is committed to providing additional financial support to those who need it. To find out about the bursary schemes available visit the additional financial support pages on our website.
We have a team of dedicated professionals on hand to offer you support when and if you need it during your time with us. These include our Student Services team, Higher Education Support Team (HEST), Library and Learning Resources and the Reaseheath Careers Service. You will find more information on the support provided at Reaseheath here.
Applications for teacher training courses should be made directly to University Centre Reaseheath. When you have chosen your course, complete our online Application Form.
For students to get the best out of their time at University Centre Reaseheath, we must both recognise that we owe obligations to each other. These obligations are set out in our Higher Education Student Contract. Before you accept an offer of a place at University Centre Reaseheath, it is important that you read these contract conditions. If you are going to be living in Halls of Residence, you will also need to read the Student Accommodation Licence Conditions. Both of these contracts can be found here.
I loved my time as a student at Reaseheath and now it’s time to pass on my skills and experience. Completing my initial teacher training and working closely with my Subject Mentor have been instrumental in me becoming an Outstanding Practitioner at the college.
Lucy Cosgriff Level 5 Diploma in Education and Training
You might also be interested in these courses...
University Centre Reaseheath – Nantwich, Cheshire, CW5 6DF
Tel: 01270 613284 | Email: UCR@reaseheath.ac.uk